Recipe by nitko
Everybody in Croatia knows how you make your blitva. But, there are people who don’t like garlic, so this is one of the ways without garlic. You can also make it with spinach.
Top Review by Expat Aaron
Nitka, you have done a really great job of presenting an awesome recipe! I live in Croatia, and we cook a lot of greens here, as you well know. I just wanted to note that "blitva" is known to us Americans as "collard greens." I had a hard time finding this out, but once I did, it helped with a lot of the recipes we use here at home. I really believe that you can use either spinach or collard greens for this recipe, and the result will still be amazing. I have found that many of our Southern dishes are similar to many Croatian dishes, and the spices we use in the South can be used for many of these dishes as well. Again, great recipe, and I look forward to sharing some recipes myself as I learn more about how to explain them in English.
- 750 g spinach (also with "blitva")
- 45 g butter
- 125 g sour cream
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon chives (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (grated)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and cut spinach/”blitva” leaves and put it aside.
- Warm the butter in a large pot; add spinach/”blitva” and mix until butter covers the leaves. Add half of anticipated cream, and the whole amount of parmesan, chive, nutmeg, salt, pepper. Heat it all for 2-5 minutes.
- Replace the lot into a refractory pot, cover with the rest of the cream. Bake it in the hot oven (200°C) 5 to 10 minute Serve hot.