Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This meal has Turkish origin. All Balkan States has similar meals, this is one we prepare in Croatia. There are lot of variations of this meal, some put sausages, some bacon, some nothing but beans. It is better if you use clay pot for this meal. This is how I do it.
- 500 g beans (white, preferably)
- 500 g leeks
- 30 g lard or 30 g oil
- 100 g tomatoes or 1 fresh tomato
- 60 g green peppers or 1 fresh green pepper
- 1 tablespoon red paprika (dry, grounded)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika (red, dry, grounded)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 100 g bacon (pancetta)
- 2 cups water
- 5 chili peppers (optional)
- Soak beans day before cooking.
- In the morning, cook beans until soft, do not overcook it.
- Slice leek into thin slices across and sauté it on lard until softens. Add flour and some water to make creamy liquid. Add paprika (hot and sweet), stir and add beans. Add water and stir. Cook just until boils. Remove from fire.
- Slice tomato into round slices. Slice Pepper into round slices. Slice pancetta thin.
- Take clay pot and put some this pancetta slices on the bottom. Pour all beans over. On the top arrange tomato slices, pepper slices and over all pancetta slices. Usually, ingredients on the top depends on season: if there is no tomatoes, than no tomatoes. Bake in hot oven on 180°C about 30 minutes, or when you see crusty top.