Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are similar to crab cakes but are a delicious variation in Baja Mexican style! Despite quite a few ingredients, these are simple, fast and easy, Great for a quality unique appetizer!
- 1 (6 ounce) canof quality tuna
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of good quality bread (crumbled)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies or 4 ounces anaheim chilies
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 small fresh green onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup of any salsa
- 2 -3 tablespoons seafood cocktail sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon any hot sauce
- 1 pickled jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno juice, from jar (optional)
- Mix all ingredients (except butter) in a bowl. Consistency should be moldable when squeezed (hold shape) if otherwise add either more liquid or dry ingredients as necessary.
- Refrigerate for 1/2 to 1 hour.
- Pat and form into cakes.
- Fry on a skillet or in a large pan in 2 Tbsp butter (more or less) set to medium low to medium heat.
- For my electric skillet this is 300°F.
- Fry until golden, approximately 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with sauce on top and/or to the side of the cakes while still warm or even when cold.
- Garnish can be a bit of lime and cilantro leaves.
What a wonderful thing to do to tuna! I left out the jalapenos and walnuts (didn't have any) and was low on cilantro so used half fresh half dried. Here in Malta, the sauce ingredients aren't really available, so I improvised with some mayo mixed with Mexican Seasoning (from the States) and it worked nicely. Even just plain tartar sauce would be fine, since the cakes have so much flavor! Served with sweet potato fries and mixed veg. for an easy dinner. Thanks so much!
We loved these tuna cakes. Great flavor and easy to do. I used fresh chives but otherwise followed the recipe. I may cut the sauce in half as we had lots left. I served with coleslaw and was a great meal. We will definitely have this many times in the future.
yummmy!! I made these tonight and DH and I loved them! I left out the jalapeno peppers and walnuts because I didn't have any, and had to sub regular onions for the green onions and chives. Also, I baked in the oven instead of frying in butter. Used a peach salsa in the sauce and the flavor was great with the tuna cake. thanks!