Recipe by Cristi Hinten
This was originally a Betty Crocker recipe that was changed over the years. This was the best that I have found it to be
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 30 ounces tomato sauce
- 24 ounces tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ounce spaghetti sauce mix, envelope
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 -3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion, mince garlic and place in large pot with hamburger. Brown meat making sure to break the meat up very well so the sauce is not hunky. Drain. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and remaining ingredients except for water and mix well. Add water (this is personal taste for how thick you want your sauce). I usually use about 3 cups because as it simmers, the sauce will get thicker. Simmer over lowest heat for about 2-3 hours stirring occasionally and making sure it doesn't stick.
- Note: green pepper can be added with the onion if preferred. My family prefers it this way so we leave it out.
- This can also simmer all day in the crockpot.