Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very easy and versatile recipe that was highlighted on the Oprah television show. I added mustard for a little kick, but perhaps hot sauce would work as well.
- 3 lbs frozen spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 cups warm milk or 2 cups cream
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add spinach and water to a stockpot. Gently boil until the spinach has thawed. Strain the spinach, squeezing out water with a spatula. Place spinach on a dishtowel and squeeze out any remaining water. Put spinach back in stockpot.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Once it has melted, add flour. Mix together, forming a roux. Slowly add warm milk and stir until thick and creamy. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard and mix well. Pour the cream sauce over the spinach and mix. Pour mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle a dash of pepper then cover tightly. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Keep covered until you are ready to serve.