Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I also tried to copy this salad after trying it at the local grocery store. I think this is pretty close. Wheatberries can be found in any health food store.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 English cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 large red onion
- 2 green onions
- 1 carrot
- 1⁄2 roasted red pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 key limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- balsamic vinegar
- hot pepper sauce (as much heat as you want) or chili pepper flakes (as much heat as you want)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- olive oil
- Cook Wheat berry in simmering salted water for about 2 hours. (Will become tender, but still remain slightly chewy) (Alternatively can soak in cold water overnight, and reduce cooking time to 50 minutes) Drain.
- While that’s cooking, dice all the vegetables.
- Mix items for juice together.
- In a large bowl, add wheatberry, all the veggies, and top with juice. Add seeds and raisins. Add olive oil at the end, just enough to moisten salad.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
It is a great recipe, but it always takes a lot of playing around because the amount of vinegar and oil are not provided in the recipe.