This is a much better recipe than the traditional one which uses milk/buttermilk. These waffles come out much crispier and are naturally low in fat, hence no 'diet' food yuk-iness. To cut calories, I use Splenda, but sugar of course will work too. Note though that the key to good waffles is a good waffle maker. Most people buy ones with 600 W which turns out wet, flat pancake like pieces of cooked batter. I have a 1500 W Cuisinart and it works great. Anything above 1300 W should produce good results
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup Splenda granular (more or less depending how sweet You want them or what toppings You'll use)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fruit jam or fruit preserves (I love raspberry confiture)
- whipped topping (such as Reddi-Wip)
- 1First preheat your waffle maker.
- 2It's important that it gets really hot.
- 3Next, separate the egg and beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry (dry egg whites are more difficult to incorporate and end up deflating quicker due to the increased amount of stroking to mix them with the batter).
- 4In a separate bowl, place the egg yolk, flour, baking powder and sugar.
- 5Mix to combine.
- 6Add the vanilla extract and enough water to make a batter a little thicker than the consistency of heavy cream.
- 7Add the egg whites and with large, delicate strokes incorporate into the batter.
- 8Spray the waffle maker with non stick cooking spray before the first batch.
- 9Pour a generous amount onto the waffle maker, it will vary depending on what kind you have.
- 10Bake until golden brown or until desired crispiness is reached.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Waffles
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.1
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 36.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: