Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is simply delicious Italian cuisine. So tasty, so easy to make and great for the whole family!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce potato chips, crushed
- white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Use a large saucepan to cook the macaroni in lightly salted boiling water according to pack instructions. Drain carefully in a colander.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan and stir in the flour and mustard to make a paste. Cook over a low heat for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time until smooth, then simmer the sauce until thickened.
- Stir two-thirds of the cheese into the sauce, then mix in the macaroni and season to taste.
- Transfer the macaroni cheese to a baking dish, scraping out all the sauce with a wooden spoon, then level the top flat.
- Sprinkle over the crushed chips. Cover with the remaining cheese and cook in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
This sounds very interesting. Can't wait to try it. I'm trying to get my kids out of the boxed mac & cheese habit. They ask for it all the time, even though we don't make it that often. This sounds like a great substitute. I might even try to sneak some peas in!