Recipe by Eismeer
Super crisp tofu cubes in a spicy and hot and crunchy vegetable stir fry sauce. Add whatever vegetables you like. Perfect way to use up leftover ready cooked basmati rice.
- 250 g firm tofu
- 250 g cooked basmati rice (or yasmin)
- 1 zucchini (green parts, chopped in little cubes)
- 1 big carrot (in shaves, I use the mandolin)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 -2 red chile
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I like Kikkoman or Healthy Boy mushroom soy sauce)
- salt and pepper
- vegetable stock powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables: Chop zucchini (green, firm bits) in tiny cubes. Shave carrot using the mandoline or chop in small cubes as well): Chop garlic and chilies.
- cut tofu in cubes (half inch size).
- heat peanut oil until very hot and add tofu cubes. Fry until very crisp i.e. a visible slighty golden layer forms on each side) and set aside when done.
- heat 2nd tablespoon of peanut oil and add vegetables including garlic and chopped chilies.
- fry until fragrant and add soy sauce (if you like you can also add a tad of water).
- add black bean sauce, tamarind paste, sesame oil and if you like a generous dash of vegetable stock powder.
- add rice to vegetables and incorporate tofu cubes.
- stir and season with salt and pepper and maybe additional soy sauce.