Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yummy crispy tofu. Kids will love it.
- 1 (14 ounce) package tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I use Splenda)
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup oil (for frying)
- -Drain and press tofu getting out as much water as possible.
- -Cut into cubes, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch.
- -Combine soy sauce, lime juice and sugar in a bowl. Add tofu and coat all sides. Marinate about 30 minutes, turn once halfway through.
- -Dredge. Make an assembly line, one bowl of cornstarch, the second with egg, the third with Panko crumbs. Toss tofu in each bowl.
- -Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Heat oven to 200.
- -Heat oil in nonstick skillet.
- -Add the tofu to heated oil. Fry them until golden brown, turning several times to brown each side.
- -Transfer the cubes to the paper towel lined baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm until ready to eat.
- -Great served with any stir-fry vegetable dish and rice.
- An easy variation is to bake rather than fry. Tastes pretty much the same without the oil calories.