Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious, easy to prepare, fish dish with an Asian flare. The presentation is awesome.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 stuffed wonton skins (recipe follows or buy frozen)
Won Ton (this will make more than needed for this meal)
- 2 tablespoons chicken, shredded, pre-cooked (i.e. leftovers)
- 2 teaspoons shredded carrots
- 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 2 whole cleaned fish
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 2 dried chilies (di arbol)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- 2 finely chopped kaffir lime leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime zest
- Combine all ingredients in a mortar and grind to a thick paste. Reserve to apply to the fish as you eat it.
- Combine the broth, lime juice, and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and hold at heat.
- Won Tons:.
- Sweat, not sauté, the vegetables until they are translucent but not browned. Mix in the chicken and thoroughly combine. Let the mixture cool. Lay out won ton wrappers on a cookie sheet that will fit in your freezer. Using a melon baller or small spoon, place a lump of the mixture in the center of each wrapper. Brush all four edges of each wrapper with water and cover with a second wrapper. Carefully press all the edges tight. Place in your freezer for a few hours then you can remove and bag them and they won’t stick together.
- Add the oil to the skillet and bring the oil to 375 degrees. Depending on the size of your skillet add more oil to get a depth of 3/4 inch. Make 3 deep cuts on each side of the fish. Carefully place the fish in the skillet letting it fall away from you. Back away from the stove for 7 minutes. Don’t touch the fish or skillet. Gently turn the fish over using tongs to avoid splashing. Cook for 4 more minutes, remove and place on a paper towel to drain.
- While the fish is draining, put the frozen won tons in the broth and bring back to low boil for two minutes.