Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I once was at a restaurant in Toronto that served Southern Fried Tofu - crispy tofu slices with a tangy sauce on top and I have been on the hunt for a recipe to make it myself. I also wanted to create something that was baked, not fried - reducing fat content for a healthier meal. This recipe is as close as I could get and is really yummy. It's a fave for my family - kids love it too.
- 1 (425 g) package firm tofu, pressed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon fine breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 1/2 tb water
- Remove tofu from package. Place between paper towels or tea towels and put a moderately heavy book on top for 30 minutes to press out the water.
- Slice into 9 slices, cutting each in half (18 pieces).
- Beat egg with water and set aside.
- Combine wheat germ, flour and breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Dip each piece of tofu into egg mixture and then gently press into crumb mixture, covering well. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 350’ for 30 minutes, turning once.
- While tofu is cooking, mix sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch/water into a small saucepan and whisk over medium heat until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Add cornstarch mixture and whisk until the sauce thickens. When thick, turn off heat and set aside.
- When tofu is cooked, pour sauce on top and gently toss or use spoon to coat. Sauce should be thick and sticky….
- Top with sesame seeds and serve.
This was great! I wound up pan frying in a little oil to save time and added ground chia seeds to the breading but was otherwise true to recipe. It was yummy and healthy. Will make again and again. Thanks country girl kim....