Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an oldie from Better Homes and Gardens. . .circa 1965
- 2 1⁄2 cups walnut halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 375º.
- Place nuts in a pan and place in oven for 5 minutes; stir once.
- Butter the sides of a 2-quart saucepan.
- In the saucepan, combine sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook without stirring until mixture reaches 236º (soft ball stage).
- Remove from heat and beat by hand for one minute, or until the mixture just starts looking creamy.
- Add the vanilla and nuts.
- Stir until the nuts are coated and mixture is creamy.
- Turn onto buttered platter.
- Immediately use two spoons or forks to separate.
- Serve at room temperature.