Recipe by Snowbunny Andorra
Very easy addition to a tapas evening, or just on its own as a snack. The crispy capers themselves are quite lovely! Serve with garlic mayo and lemon wedges. To clean the squid, firstly remove the solid clear shaft running from the head to the end of the body. Pull the head away from the body slowly but firmly to remove the innards. Wash the body under running water - if there's any dark skin, this can usually be rubbed off, but dont worry to much if it sticks. Cut the head just below the eyes, retaining the tentacles, which can be used in the dish, but discard the rest of the head and innards.
- 300 g baby calamari
- 200 g capers, drained and finely chopped
- plain flour
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour, salt and capers in a strong plastic bag, shake vigorously to coat.
- Cut the squid into rings approx 1cm wide. Pat dry and add these, and the tentacles, to the flour and capers. Shake again until completely covered.
- Deep-fry in small batches for a couple of minutes until slightly golden.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired, before serving.