Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I wouldn't mind adding a side of eggplant to every last dish that I eat while on earth. I found this one on another recipe site.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Slice the eggplant into thick slices and drop them in a large bowl of lightly salted water.
- Mix all the other ingredients and check the taste.
- Add more salt or spices if needed.
- Heat a skillet and coat it generously with oil.
- Thickly coat the eggplant slices one at a time in the besan mixture and place on the skillet.
- Shallow fry only 4 slices at a time.
- Cover the slices with a lid so the eggplant cooks through.
- Turn them over once and do not recover.
- Remove them, and place on a plate.
- You can prepare them ahead and pop them into a moderate oven for 5 mins before serving.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve on a bed of crisp shredded cabbage leaves.
I love love love this recipe! I have the same one and it goes down very well at home. I tend to only use half the sugar, and only about a pinch of hing. Just to clairfy for any cooks who don't know Indian words, in step 5 you mention "the besan mixture", besan is chickpea flour so it's just the mixture you make up in steps 2 & 3.