Kentucky Fried Chicken “original” is one of my favorites, however, this recipe is just as good because it is made “My Way.” That is, using many different spices and instant potato flakes to give it a tasty, spicy & crispy crunch (and without chicken skins). Once the ingredients are prepared, this recipe is a quick and easy one to make and enjoy.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (Option, 2 breasts see note below)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 egg, beaten (In a bowl)
- 1⁄4 cup idaho instant potato flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1⁄4 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (Both Optional) or 1 pinch chili powder (Both Optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup broccoli slaw mix (See instructions below to make your own)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves (clean leaves, plus extra sprigs)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon honey
- BROCCOLI SLAW Preparation(To make your own)- Cut off ¼ of the bottom hard part of the broccoli stem and discard, then cut just below the flowerets, next take a carrot peeler and remove the outside hard part of the broccoli, then cut in half and then make thin match stick size slices, next add match stick slivers of baby carrots and finally add a small amount of red cabbage for color, mix together and set aside.
- CHICKEN PIECES Preparation- Cut chicken breast into thin slices, then with a meat hammer tenderizer/pound each side flat, set aside.
- SPICE MIX Preparation- Combine with potato flakes the 9 spices listed just below the potato flakes, mix and set aside.
- VEGETABLE THICKENING SAUCE Preparation- In a cup combine the soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of water, cornstarch and mix well, set aside.
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a baking pan about 13” x 9” (larger size for 2 chicken breasts), line with aluminum foil (if you prefer an easy clean-up) and then add 2 tablespoons oil & 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine, then spread around the surface of the pan.
- Dip the chicken into the beaten egg and then coat chicken pieces thoroughly in the potato flake mixture.
- Next add to baking pan and cook uncovered for about 7-10 minutes, next turn all the pieces and cook another 7-10 or so minutes, check to see if the pieces are done and not overcooked (very thin slices will cook faster the thicker ones).
- While the chicken is cooking, in wok add 2 tablespoons oil, ginger and garlic and stir a few seconds, next add the broccoli slaw, stir-fry for about 2 minutes (add a touch of water as needed).
- Next add the thickening sauce to the wok and stir fry a few moments more, then add the 3 tablespoons of the cilantro leaves, stir briefly, then place the vegetables around the edge of a nice sized plate for serving.
- When the chicken is done add to the center of the plate, drizzle the honey on the chicken pieces and next add the cilantro sprigs as garnish.
- This recipe is for 2 servings, however, if you add a second chicken breast just double the ingredients and it can then easily serve 4 people,
- Further, this recipe was created for one of the RSC contests and Broccoli Slaw and Honey had been required ingredients. However, you can cut down on the preparation and cooking time for this recipe by eliminating the Broccoli Slaw (steps #1 and #4) and Honey if you would like.
- Also, adding a pinch of Bijol coloring to the spice mix, will give the chicken pieces a slightly yellow and appealing color.