Recipe by Vino Girl
When I made this, I divided the recipe in two so I could make half meatless. From Holly Clegg.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese or 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 14 (6 inch) corn tortillas or 14 (6 inch) flour tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained
- 8 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook the meat over medium heat until done, and drain any excess liquid.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, blend the egg whites and cottage cheese well; set aside.
- In a 13x9x2-inch non-stick baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray, place six quartered tortillas.
- Layer all the corn, half the meat mixture, half the cheese, four quartered tortillas, then all of the cottage cheee mixture, the remaining half of the meat mixture, and the remaining four quartered tortillas, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve.