Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great for snacking and as an appetizer! These can be cooked ahead, frozen, and reheated in a 350 degree oven.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 egg whites
- 3 ounces blanched fatty bacon, minced
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1⁄2 inch fresh gingerroot
- peanut oil
- szechuan peppercorns
- coarse salt
- Chop shrimp into fine paste, or use food processor.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then add the bacon and beat 2 minutes more. Add shrimp paste, tapioca starch, 1 teaspoons salt, white pepper, and wine. Squeeze ginger in garlic press, pouring juice into mixture. Mix all ingredients well.
- Heat a wok until very hot. Add 2 cups peanut oil and lower heat to medium.
- Dip a measuring tablespoon in cold water, then use it to spoon mixture into a ball (cold water helps prevent sticking).
- Drop ball carefully into hot oil. Fry each ball about 2 minutes or until they float and become fluffy, turning balls to cook evenly. Do not overcook.
- Drain on paper-toweling.
- Serve with Peppercorn-salt dip, made by mixing 1/4 cup coarse salt with 2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns.