Recipe by Tea Jenny
This is a Thai recipe, you can serve this with jasmine rice or a nice green salad, either way it's a very tasty dish and worth the effort.
- 500 g fresh prawns or 500 g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 150 g ground pork (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 60 g breadcrumbs
- oil, for deep-frying
- 2 pieces fresh pineapple, thinly sliced, to garnish (optional)
- chinese plum sauce, to serve (optional)
- sweet Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 100 g sugar
- 1⁄2 cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced red chili
- 60 ml rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- springs coriander leaves, to garnish (cilantro)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the Sweet Thai Chilli sauce, bring the water, fish sauce and sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture turns into a thin syrup. Remove from the heat and set aside. About 10 minutes before serving, combine all the other ingredients with the syrup and mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Grind the peeled prawns or shrimp to a paste in a food processor. Combine the prawns or shrimp, pork (if using), salt, fish sauce, sugar pepper in a large bowl and mix until well blended.
- Wet your hands, spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture and shape if into a ball, them press if flat to from a round cake. Coat the cake on all sides with the breadcrumbs. Continue until all the mixture is used up.
- Heat the oil in a wok or saucepan until hot. Gradually lower the coated cakes into the oil, a few at a time, and deep-fry for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Line a serving platter with the pineapple slice (if using) and arrange the deep-fried cakes on top. Serve hot with a bowl of Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce or Chinese plum sauce (if using) on the side.