This is for crisy shallots to serve on soup, steaks, in salads etc. Delicious addition. Must try. Ideally paired with roasted potato and leek soup by Ina Garten (see my public recipes for the recipe). This is from her Back to Basics cookbook in 2008. Enjoy! ChefDLH
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it reaches 220° on a candy thermometer.
- 2Reduce the heat to low, add the shallots, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until they are a rich golden brown. The temperature should stay below 260 degrees. Stir the shallots occasionally to make sure they brown evenly.
- 3Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain well and spread out to cool on paper towels.
- 4Once they have dried and crisped, they can be stored at room temperature, covered, for several days.
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Shallots ( Ina Garten Back to Basics)
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6483.2
- Calories from Fat 6455
- Total Fat 717.3 g
- Saturated Fat 133.2 g
- Cholesterol 183.1 mg
- Sodium 46.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g