Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is for crisy shallots to serve on soup, steaks, in salads etc. Delicious addition. Must try. Ideally paired with roasted potato and leek soup by Ina Garten (see my public recipes for the recipe). This is from her Back to Basics cookbook in 2008. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 -6 shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it reaches 220° on a candy thermometer.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the shallots, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until they are a rich golden brown. The temperature should stay below 260 degrees. Stir the shallots occasionally to make sure they brown evenly.
- Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain well and spread out to cool on paper towels.
- Once they have dried and crisped, they can be stored at room temperature, covered, for several days.
These are perfect! Delicious, easy, and the recipe is impossible to mess up.
Fantastic garnish for glazed sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving!