Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Thai-inspired appetizer.
Make and share this Crispy Scallop Flatbread & Chile Mayonnaise recipe from Food.com.
For the Scallops
- 1⁄4 lb large fresh scallops, hard muscle removed and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground Thai red chili peppers (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons chile mayonnaise (recipe below)
- 1 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 2 -3 sprigs cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (sweet Japanese variety works best see note)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha Asian chili sauce (or to taste)
- For The Flatbread: Heat 1/4 cup peanut oil in a large skillet. Submerge tortilla and fry until golden on one side, then turn and fry the other side. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- For The Scallops: Meanwhile, heat 1-tablespoon peanut oil in a small non-stick skillet. Season the scallops with salt then coat with the chili powder. Place the scallops in the hot pan and sear to brown on one side over high heat. Lower the heat slightly and turn the scallops over and repeat until brown. Remove the pan from the heat while you assemble the flatbread.
- To Assemble: Spread the crisp tortilla with the chile mayonnaise. Distribute the warm scallops over the mayonnaise. Garnish with the scallions, cilantro and chile oil. Cut the flatbread in quarters and serve immediately.
- To Make The Chile Mayonnaise: Combine the mayonnaise and sriracha well. Keep refrigerated until use.
- Note: If you can't find the Japanese mayonnaise, add 1 tablespoon of sugar to the sauce.