Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
These are absolutely delish! I found chicken fat in the ethnic section of my supermarket. I've made these with bacon fat as well as chicken fat and they're delicious either way. You can use new potatoes but they won't be quite as crispy but they will be creamy. Which ever way you choose to make these, I'm sure you will enjoy them!
- Adjust oven racks to lower and upper positions and preheat oven to 500°.
- Place potatoes in a large sauce pot and cover potatoes with water by one inch.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the salt and the vinegar.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until exteriors are tender, about 5 minute Potatoes should show a slight resistance when poked with a paring knife or a fork. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add fat to the bowl of potatoes. Season with pepper and more salt to taste, then toss with a large metal spoon until exteriors are slightly bashed up and coated in a thin layer of potato/fat paste. Divide potatoes evenly between two heavy rimmed baking sheets. Spread thyme sprigs over potatoes.
- Transfer baking sheets to the oven and roast until the bottoms of the potatoes are crisp and golden brown, about 20 minute total, swapping top trays for the bottom and rotating them once half way through roasting. Using a thin metal spatula, flip the potatoes and roast until the second side is golden brown, another 15 to 20 minute Discard thyme sprigs and serve.