Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Got this recipe from our local paper. To quote: "The crispy coating on the asparagus - from the mayonnaise and French mustard, along with the Japanese panko breadcrumbs - provides a pleasant and piquant crunch. Panko is available at Asian markets. Serve as an hors d'oeuvre or side dish."
- Set the oven at 450°F.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel tough ends of the asparagus.
- In a shallow dish, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice.
- Roll the asparagus spears in the mixture to coat them.
- Spread the panko in a plate and roll the spears until they are well coated.
- Transfer them to a cake rack and let them dry for 30 minutes.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle the oil and line up the asparagus so they're not touching.
- Cook the spears, turning often, for 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Remove them from oven, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and serve at once.
I had a lot of extra asparagus and used this to take an appetizer to a birthday party. It was a relatively easy and quick recipe that everyone liked.
What a great recipe! Don't overcook the asparagus as that crispy coating with the crunch of asparagus is great! ...and definitely, thick asparagus is the key. We'll make this often. Thank you, Dojemi.
I tried this and it came out nice and crispy. we all enjoyed it a lot, including my 1.5 yr old daughter. I used the mayo, mustard, lime juice combo as a dipping sauce to this and it was awesome. Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely do this many more times.