Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe & the following description, notes & tips come from Australian Good Taste magazine - December 2007: "Brushing the potatoes with a mixture of olive oil and melted butter gives them a golden crust. They taste great sprinkled with sea salt. Notes & tips: * Time plan tip: You can make this recipe 2 1/2 hours ahead. Transfer to a heatproof serving dish, then fifteen minutes before serving, place the dish in the oven to reheat. * The trick to crispy potatoes is parboiling them in step 1. Make sure you choose potatoes that are about the same size - this ensures they cook evenly and makes for better presentation. If coliban potatoes are unavailable, use sebago or desiree potatoes instead. * Allow 30 minutes cooling time."
- 15 medium coliban potatoes, peeled, halved (about 2.5kg)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 g butter, melted
- flaked sea salt, to serve
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Drain, then place, in a single layer, on a tray lined with paper towel and set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Brush 2 large baking trays with a little oil. Combine the butter and remaining oil in a small bowl.
- Use a fork to scrape the curved side of the potato lengthways.
- Place, in a single layer, cut-side down, on the prepared trays and brush with butter mixture.
- Roast in oven, brushing with the butter mixture once, for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with sea salt to serve.