Recipe by tambocos
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. Quick and easy. Classic comfort food.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Made this tasty dish for breakfast this morning -- my first time to make poached eggs and they turned out pretty good. I did follow other instructions for cooking the poached eggs by adding vinegar to the water. I think next time I would place everything on an English muffin, but that's just our preference. Made for Spring PAC, April, 2014.
- 1 lb sage sausage
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 4 green onions, chopped (separated)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned. Add three of the chopped onions to sausage and heat an additional minute. Remove from pan.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat 3 cups of water.
- Divide potatoes into 4 portions and add to skillet. Heat potatoes over medium-high heat until crispy and golden, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip and repeat on other side.
- To poach eggs:.
- One by one, crack each egg onto saucer. Bring water to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.
- Carefully slip each egg into the simmering water. With a spoon, gently nudge the egg whites closer to their yolks.
- Immediately cover with a lid and turn off heat. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, depending on firmness desired.
- Lift each egg from the water with a slotted spoon. Drain well.
- Divide sausage into fourths and scoop onto plate. Top with potatoes and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Top with poached eggs and sprinkle with remaining chopped green onion.