Recipe by JSE123
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Crispy shrimp and potato cakes enhanced by a spicy aioli, served over spinach leaves - colorful and delicious!
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 2 cups cooked shrimp, chopped
- 3 egg whites, beaten until foamy
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, as desired
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup seafood cocktail sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (5 ounce) package baby spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the shrimp, egg whites, green onions and red bell pepper, blending well. Season as desired with salt and black pepper; reserve.
- To make Spicy Aioli, blend mayonnaise, cocktail sauce, white wine vinegar and garlic; reserve in refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the potato mixture into the skillet to form each cake. (Several may be cooked at once, depending upon the size of the skillet – do not crowd.) Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown, then turn to brown the other side. Remove to several thicknesses of paper towels, keeping warm in a 250 degree oven. Continue until all cakes are cooked.
- Serve over baby spinach leaves with Spicy Aioli. Yield: 4 to 5 main dish servings. May also be used as appetizers (I usually make them into smaller cakes for appetizers.) If used as an appetizer, this recipe makes about 8 to 10 appetizer servings.
- Note – I have also used leftover cooked salmon, flaked and chopped, for the shrimp in this incredible dish – equally tasty.