Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This is an crowd-pleasing side dish or appetizer that can made the day before your dinner party (with the patties fried just before serving.)The goat cheese crumbles add a nice tartness to the potatoes and the roasted red pepper salsa provides a refreshing contrast.
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup goat cheese, crumbles
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups plain panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 red peppers
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup black olives (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- To make the patties, combine the Simply Potatoes, goat cheese crumbles, cumin and black pepper in a large bowl. Take a heaping tablespoon of the potatoes and shape into a 1 inch patty. Place the patties on a cookie sheet and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- To make the salsa, roast 2 red peppers over gas flame or under a broiler. Place roasted red peppers in a plastic bag until cool enough to handle. Peel off blackened skin, chop up peppers and place them in a medium bowl. Combine peppers with cilantro, green onions, black olives and lime juice. Refrigerate salsa at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Just before serving, fry the potato patties. Combine the egg and milk in small bowl and place the panko bread crumbs in a medium bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a 10 inch frying pan on medium high for 4-5 minutes. Dip the potato patties in the egg mixture first and then coat both sides in the panko. Fry the patties in 2 batches in the hot oil 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain fried patties on a paper towel.
- Top each potato patty with a tablespoon of red pepper salsa and serve immediately.
Delicious and a perfect addition to make a meal very special. These potato patties disappear in no time at all. The salsa is a great complement to the creamy potatoes. You won't be disappointed -- try this one!