Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
Love to make these with leftover mashed potatoes. I will make a batch of these golden brown cakes and serve with sour cream and applesauce for nice snack on the weekends. Pure comfort food here. Recently when my son had his wisdom teeth out, and was so hungry, I whipped these up, which gave the texture he needed and the taste was perfect and satisfying. Posting for Trevor. Scored major mommy points for this one ;)
- 4 large russet potatoes or 4 large idaho potatoes
- 4 -6 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice potatoes and add to a large pot. Cover with water and salt the water. Bring to boil over medium heat, and cook until tender. Drain the potatoes and return to hot pot to dry. Transfer potatoes to a bowl. Soften cream cheese in a microwavable bowl and microwave the cream cheese for 20 seconds on high. Add to the potatoes along with sour cream, chives, cilantro, egg, salt and pepper, to taste. Mash potatoes to combine mixture.
- Heat the oil and butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop 2-inch mounds of potatoes into skillet and gently press down to flatten a bit. Crisp potatoes until deeply golden on each side, about 7-8 minutes total.