Recipe by Greg: Barrow, Alaska
It's like eating a pizza on a thin tasty cracker. I give a dough recipe for a bread machine, but you can just as easily substitute your own yeast recipe. The part you can't change is the forming of the dough in a skillet and the instructions for cooking the pizza. The crust can be used immediately or frozen for about a month.
Top Review by Outta Here
WOW!!! This is really a good, crisp crust. A little labor intensive, but the results are worth it. My largest cast-iron skillet is only 10 inches (and I have 3 of them that size for some reason), so I made "mini" pizzas. I will have to invest in a larger pan! I topped two with pesto, prosciutto, walnuts and goat cheese, and Parmesan; and two with olive oil mixed with dried Italian herbs, sauteed red onions, portobellos, sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese. I froze another 4 of the crusts for later. Made for Spring 2011 PAC game.
- 10 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients (except corn meal) in order listed in bread machine, and run the dough setting.
- When the dough cycle finishes, place in a bowl with a little olive oil in it and turn dough to coat with oil.
- Cover and let rise in a warm spot 45 minutes.
- Knead dough a few times and then cut into 4-8 separate pieces; depending on how big you want your crusts.
- Lightly oil and pre-heat iron skillet on medium-high heat. you want the skillet hot.
- Get out a metal stew pot or any pan or object with a circular base at least 10 inches diameter.
- Sprinkle about a tbs of corn meal into skillet.
- Place one of the pieces of dough in the skillet and press down with the pan bottom to flatten the dough. No need to roll first. The crust will not be perfectly round, but so what? It looks home made right? Push the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and hold for about 30 seconds.
- Take pan out of skillet. Dough will stick to the bottom and come out of the skillet as well.
- Sprinkle more cornmeal into skillet.
- Peel the dough off the pan and put back in the skillet with the un-seared side down. Flatten any parts that squeezed out from the side of the pan on your first press.
- Leave in skillet 30 seconds.
- Remove from skillet.
- You've got thin pizza crust!
- •To make pizza--.
- Put sauce, cheese and toppings on crust.
- Pre-heat iron skillet in 410 degree oven.
- Place pizza in skillet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand in skillet for 5 minutes. Remove to a plate with a spatula.
- Eat pizza. Give a five star review on recipezaar.com.