Recipe by Kikai's Kitchen
An ultimate comfort food when cholesterol doesn't matter... :) Crispy on the outside and scrumptious succulent meat on the inside... Great for gatherings...
- 3 -5 lbs pork legs (front or hind including the knuckles)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Sprite (or 7-UP)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon msg (optional)
- oil, for deep-frying
- 2 -3 cups water (or enough to cover the pata for boiling)
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean pata and slit skin (3-4 slits on both sides) without cutting bone.
- Place in a deep pan with a tight cover.
- Add water, 7 Up and salt. Bring to a boil after 15 minutes, add baking soda. Baking soda will hasten the softening of the pata’s skin. Continue cooking for another hour or until tender. If water dries up and pata is not yet done, add another cup of water. Drain when done.
- Hang for 1 day or place in refrigerator overnight to make skin dry. Before frying, brush with patis (fish sauce) and sprinkle with flour generously.
- Deep fry until crispy and golden brown. Put off heat and pour 1/4 cup water. This will make the skin more crispy.
- *Prep and cooking time doesnt include drying the leg all day or overnight.