Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Press the dough for this easy crackerlike bread into a pizza pan, cut into triangles and bake in a hot oven until crunchy-crisp.
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely crumbled dried rosemary leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion salt
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water for brushing on dough
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Stir together 3/4 cup white flour, yeast, sugar, basil, celery salt, romsemary leaves and onion salt in a large mixer bowl. With mixer on low speed, beat in water, then oil, until blended. Raise speed to highand beat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, whole-wheat flour and 1/2 cup more white flour, using a large spoon. Working in the bowl, quickly and vigourously, knead in enough more white flour to to yield a firm, smooth dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a very warm spot for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-inch-diameter pizza pan.
- Punch down dough. Press out dough to an evenly thick layer to the pan edges. Brush dough surface with egg-water mixture, using pastry brush or paper towel. Sprinkle coarse salt over dough. Prick dough surface all over with the tines of a fork. Cut dough into 16 wedges, using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until wedges are lightly browned and crispy. Remove from pan and cook on racks 5 minutes. Serve immediately.