This is the easy version of a popular dish at our house. If I don't use the soup mix, I concoct my own version with herbs (rosemary is great here), sea salt, hot sauce, and whatever comes to hand. Any kind of potato can be used resulting in a slightly different texture of the dish. Oil should be added just to coat the potatoes, they don't need to be drenched. Or for a lighter version, spray the potatoes with cooking oil and delete the olive oil. This is so easy, but it's so good.
- Scrub potatoes well and leave skins on.
- Halve each the long way, then cut each half into quarters to make 8 steak fry shapes.
- Smaller potatoes can be cut into quarters.
- Put potatoes into a large bowl and add dry soup mix and the oil.
- You made need more or less oil depending on size of potatoes.
- Mix all very well with a large spoon.
- Spray a large broiler pan or large flat cooking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread potatoes so that they are only in one layer on the pan.
- Place in 400 degree oven for 1 hour.
- IMPORTANT: These need to be stirred every 15 minutes to keep them from sticking to the pan and to ensure even crisping.