1/4 Photos of Crispy Oven-Fried Cod Fish
There is nothing fancy about this but if your looking for a crispy coating without any deep-frying this is about as good as it gets, If your skillet is not large enough to hold all of the fish, then transfer to a baking sheet that has been coated with oil, only dry breadcrumbs or the coating will not adhere to the fish --- cooking time is for oven only, if desired any large fish fillet can be replaced for the cod, all seasoning my be adjusted to taste
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper (or use 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (garlic lovers increase to 2 teaspoons if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less if desired)
- 6 (6 ounce) cod fish fillets (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 -7 tablespoons vegetable oil (more or less as needed)
- 1Preheat oven to 475 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- 2In a large heavy ziploc plasic bag combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, seasoning salt, lemon pepper, cayenne and garlic powder; shake the bag to mix (can use a shallow bowl).
- 3In a shallow bowl slightly beat the eggs.
- 4Adding one piece of fish at a time to the bag, coat well with the mixture, then remove and dip the fish in the eggs, then return to the bag to coat the fish again, repeat for all of the cod pieces; transfer to a plate.
- 5Heat about 3 tablespoons oil in a large 12-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 6Fry the fish until the undersides are golden brown (about 1 minute).
- 7Turn over and add in another 3-4 tablespoons oil; cook another 1 minute more.
- 8Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 5-6 minutes or until JUST cooked through.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Oven-Fried Cod Fish
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.6
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 166.7 mg
- Sodium 336.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 39.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: