Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Serve this with crispy oven roasted fries for a quick take on fish and chips. Yumm! (much healthier than the deep fried version as well)
- Preheat oven to 500*F.
- Combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, salt and cayenne in a large sealable plastic bag and shake to mix.
- Season fish with salt and pepper on both sides and working with 1 piece at a time, put fish in bag and shake to coat well with crumbs.
- Dip fish in eggs, then shake in crumbs again to coat.
- Transfer to a plate Heat 3 TBs oil in a 23 inch heavy oven proof skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Fry fish until undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Turn over, add remaining 3 TBS oil, an cook one minute more.
- Put skillet in upper third of oven and bake until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Very Good and Simple. My SO wanted fish and I am a novice at cooking fish. This turned out great.
This turned out great. Due to allergies, I substituted coconut flour for the breadcrumbs and cornmeal. The coating stuck to the fish very well. And, oven frying was very simple. The fish turned out very tender (this is usually hard for me). I would not use the cayenne next time though-- just too hard on my tummy. Excellent recipe. Will make again this week.
MarieAlice's recipe worked like a charm, but I think the pieces of cod I bought were inferior, which ultimately made a difference in the end product. The coating was nice & crisp; however, it sometimes just fell off the fish. Maybe something I did wrong?