Recipe by Marie
Wonderfully browned oven baked chicken that tastes as good as fried. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and delicious chicken gravy for a real comfort food dinner your family will love.
Top Review by SarasotaCook
Excellent recipe. I made this a few weeks ago and forgot to review, sorry about that. I only had 2 small changes ... I added a few red pepper flakes to the flour mix. I just wanted a bit more spice, but that didn't change the outcome. The chicken was crisp tender and very good.
Loved the gravy, I just added a little white wine to the drippings, but otherwise, followed the recipe.
Served with spuds and roasted green beans. Great recipe!! And very easy.
- 1 cut up whole chicken (8 pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chicken drippings
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place vegetable oil and margarine in shallow baking pan and set in oven to heat and melt.
- Combine flour and seasonings in a plastic bag.
- Shake pieces of chicken in flour mixture.
- Remove hot pan from oven and arrange chicken pieces on it, skin side down being sure not to crowd.
- Place pan in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken so that the skin side is up and continue to bake 20 to 30 minutes more until nicely browned and juices run clear.
- Remove to a platter and keep warm allowing to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- For gravy, scrape baking pan and place 3 tablespoons of the accumulated cooking fat and browned bits into a saucepan.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour and cook 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Stir in 2 cups chicken broth and continue cooking and whisking until gravy boils and thickens.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.