Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Wonderfully browned oven baked chicken that tastes as good as fried. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and delicious chicken gravy for a real comfort food dinner your family will love.
- 1 cut up whole chicken (8 pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chicken drippings
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Place the chicken in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place vegetable oil and margarine in shallow baking pan and set in oven to heat and melt.
- Combine flour and seasonings in a plastic bag.
- Shake pieces of chicken in flour mixture.
- Remove hot pan from oven and arrange chicken pieces on it, skin side down being sure not to crowd.
- Place pan in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken so that the skin side is up and continue to bake 20 to 30 minutes more until nicely browned and juices run clear.
- Remove to a platter and keep warm allowing to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- For gravy, scrape baking pan and place 3 tablespoons of the accumulated cooking fat and browned bits into a saucepan.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour and cook 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Stir in 2 cups chicken broth and continue cooking and whisking until gravy boils and thickens.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Excellent recipe. I made this a few weeks ago and forgot to review, sorry about that. I only had 2 small changes ... I added a few red pepper flakes to the flour mix. I just wanted a bit more spice, but that didn't change the outcome. The chicken was crisp tender and very good.
Loved the gravy, I just added a little white wine to the drippings, but otherwise, followed the recipe.
Served with spuds and roasted green beans. Great recipe!! And very easy.
This was deeeeeeeelicious! I make a similar oven fried chicken, but this one had a few differences plus the addition of gravy. We all loved the outcome. The chicken was crispy on the outside, moist on the inside and had a wonderful flavor. I served this with mashed potatoes, as suggested, so that gravy could be put to good use! This will be going into my best cookbook file. Yum! ~Recommended by lazyme in the Best of 2010 tag~
this was a great recipe! my dh said it was so good.
the reason i give it 4 stars is because when i put the pan with the butter and oil in the oven- the butter started to burn- and smell. maybe it was because i used olive oil instead of veg oil...
the butter, drippings, oil mixture was too burnt smelling that i decided not to make the gravy out of it. other than that chicken was good!