Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I am really interested in trying this. They look delicious! This was found in Body & Soul magazine. If you try it, please review it! I am anxious to see how it turns out.
- 1 small fresh red chili pepper, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 lb skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large apple, peeeled, cored, and cut into thin strips
- 4 green onions, green part only, cut into short, thin slivers
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 12 round rice paper sheets
- 1 head boston lettuce, leaves seperated and washed
- sweet and sour sauce, as condiment if desired
- Combine Chili pepper, garlic, ginger, wine, orange juice, and soy sauce in medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for 15 minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- In small pan, heat canola oil and saute chicken until light brown outside and no longer pink inside, about 2 minutes. Combine apple, green onions, bell pepper, rice vinegar, and sesame oil in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Mix in cooked chicken.
- Fill a medium bowl with warm water. Dip one of the wrappers in the water for 15 seconds, or until softened. Carefully transfer it to a dry work surface. Arrange 2 - 3 TBSP of the filling in an even horizontal mound just below the center of the wrapper. Roll up the rice paper to form a tight cylinder, folding in the sides about halfway. Assemble the remaining spring rolls the same way.
- Coat a large baking sheet with cooking oil. Arrange spring rolls in a single layer, leaving a little space between them. Brush rolls with oil. Broil the rolls until lightly browned and crisp, 8-10 minutes; check frequently to avoid burning. Use a spatula to turn the rolls over and continue to broil another 8-10 minutes. Serve each roll wrapped in a lettuce leaf with your favorite sweet and sour sauce.
Wow! This is an incredible recipe--one of the best I've tried so far. The spring rolls did not last long in my house. I used Sweet and Sour The Best Sweet and Sour Sauce for a perfect match!