Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Diane Rossen Worthington
Make and share this Crispy Orange Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 orange, zest of, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2-4 1/2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cleaned and patted dry
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- In a small bowl, combine the marinade ingredients; stir to blend.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Put the chicken in a big bowl; starting around the main body cavity, carefully slip your hand under the skin, making sure not to break it ( you may need to use gloves if you have long fingernails).
- Pat the marinade under the skin, than all over the bird on top of the skin.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least a few minutes or up to 8 hours (you can also do this in a zip-lock plastic bag).
- Preheat the oven to 425°; place the orange slices in the cavity of the chicken.
- Put the chicken, breast-side up, in a roasting pan on a rack or on a vertical roaster.
- Add the water to the pan.
- Roast the chicken for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with a knife (halfway through cooking, add a little more water if needed to keep the juices from burning).
- Let the chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Carve the chicken and arrange on a serving platter.
- Place the orange slices in the pan with the juices and cook over med-high heat until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes; pour the juice over the chicken and serve immediately.