Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My grandmother's recipe, modified by my mom to be healthier.
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter (can use low fat butter)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 egg
- honey (I add maybe a few packets of splenda to sweeten a bit) (optional) or Splenda sugar substitute (I add maybe a few packets of splenda to sweeten a bit) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients and drop spoonfuls on pan sprayed with Pam.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toasty brown. I like to cook them a little longer to make them crisp.
These cannot be called cookies, it's more like little mounds of uncooked oatmeal. They are edible, but very boring. I wouldn't waste my ingredients to make them again, but if I did I would add some carob chips or raisins or something to spice them up, they're just very dull. Also very chewy, but I figured that with the steel cut oats.