Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tired of the same ol' honey shrimp? Try a few CrAzY things to twist it up! Honey shrimp with a citrus and pineapple punch! I made due with what I had at home and they turned out GREAT!. The recipe was sparked/altered from the "Crispy Honey Shrimp" recipe on this site.
- 1 lb shrimp, rinsed shelled, and de-veined
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple-orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minimum honey (I used 5-6)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I don't own cornstarch) or 2 tablespoons sesame oil (I don't own cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- frying oil (skillet 1/2 inch full)
- sesame oil (for second coating, 1/4 inch full skillet)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 lemon
- Sift the flour, salt, pepper, and cinnamon (optional) in a large bowl. Add water, milk, and egg and mix until a smooth batter. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Now is the time to prepare ahead and get any side items ready to be plated quickly. Once you begin battering and frying the shrimp it becomes difficult to keep up. ( I cooked egg noodles "8 minutes" added soy sauce and stir-fried fresh veggies during this time to make a complete meal).
- Heat the frying oil skillet 1/2 inch full to med-med/high (can use more if you prefer).
- Coat all shrimp in cornstarch or a sesame oil/toasted sesame oil mixture.
- Add the coated shrimp to the large bowl of batter and coat well with batter.
- Carefully drop battered shrimp into oil. (Make sure oil is not too hot, shrimp should turn a light to medium gold when done, turn every couple of minutes). Remove all shrimp onto tray covered with paper towels. Gently "dry" the shrimp. Keep warm.
- Warm a skillet 1/4 inch full of sesame oil to medium.
- Once oil is warm, add honey and pineapple orange juice while mixing constantly. Add the dried shrimp to mixture, squeeze lemon over shrimp, and sprinkle in sesame seeds. Mix & Toss well for a few minutes. Serve Immediately.
- ***Don't want to waste the left over batter and oil? Try frying some of your veggies with your shrimp. I cooked mushrooms both fried and crispy honey pineapple orange style with the left over batter.
Not sure how to rate this, my husband didn't like but my daugther loved the shrimp. Cooked as written only change I made was I threw in a few chunk of fresh pineapple with the sauce and served over white rice.