Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the original recipe for Crispy Herb Chicken using Hungary Jack Mashed Potato Flakes found in a Pillsbury booklet from the eighties. It was a favorite at my daughter's summer birthday parties. For added convenience I often substituted boneless chicken breasts decreasing the baking time to 40 minutes. This feeds a large family or a crowd.
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 roasting chickens, quartered, skinned, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, melted
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease two 15x10" jelly roll pans or two 13X9" pans.
- In medium bowl, combine potato flakes, cheese, parsley flakes, onion powder, garlic salt, paprika, and pepper; stir until well mixed.
- Dip chicken pieces into melted margarine; roll in potato mixture to coat. Place in prepared pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 60-75 minutes or until chicken is tender and golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- TIP: For even browning, reverse pan positions halfway through baking.