Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe I think came from my Gran, and was hand written on a scrap of paper. I have adjusted some quantities as they weren't written down properly, but this is a really tasty dish! I serve it with hot crusty bread.
- 800 -900 g chicken breast fillets
- 1 (295 g) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 350 g celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into small chunks
- 150 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into small chunks
- 540 g pineapple, pieces small
- 300 g ready salted crackers (2 packets)
- 50 g parmesan cheese, grated
- Grease a large shallow dish with a little margarine.
- Cook the chicken in a pan until browned, allow to cool a little then cut into bite size pieces.
- Put the cooked chicken into a large bowl with all of the ingredients APART from the crisps and the cheese.
- Mix together well and spoon the mixture into the shallow dish.
- Slightly crush the crisps to half the original size then sprinkle them along with the cheese onto the chicken mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
I boiled a whole chicken and omited the mushrooms. For the crackers, I used Ritz. Melt 1/2 cup butter in skillet and crush the ritz into the butter. Let that get hot and sprinkle onto the casserole, then bake as directed. It turned out great!
Very quick and easy to put together for a weeknight meal. Was a little bland for my taste, but the kids loved it.