Recipe by Soozaler
These are "fried" green tomatoes for everybody who doesn't want quite that much grease or mess.
- 3 green tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spray casserole dish or cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix panko, parmesan, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/3 inch thick, and get them slightly wet with water.
- Coat tomatoes with panko mixture on each side and place on pan.
- Cook 20 minutes on top rack, flipping midway through. Then broil for an additional 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Cool slightly before eating.
- Recipezaar says you can substitute breadcrumbs for panko. You can do that if necessary, and it will still taste good, but the panko is MUCH crispier. Definitely worth the extra trip to the Asian market if you have one.