Even if you're not a tofu fan, these crispy nuggets are hard to keep out of your mouth. The recipe includes tamarind, an herb native to India that has been cultivated for its pungent acidic flavor since prehistoric times. Tamarind can be found as a frozen paste, a liquid concentrate, or fresh in pods. The porous tofu soaks up the tamarind's bittersweet flavor and forms a caramelized crust around each bite with the tamari, ginger and garlic. The crunchy roasted sunflower seeds add contrasting texture. These are excellent hot from the oven or chilled. Adapted from Whole Foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup low-sodium tamari
- 6 garlic cloves, minced, about 3 teaspoons
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed (cover with paper towels, place heavy pan or can on top to press out liquid)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1Combine tamari, garlic, lemon juice, orange juice, tamarind paste, ketchup, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, and molasses in a small saucepan. Bring to a rolling simmer.
- 2Combine cornstarch and cold water. With the sauce simmering slowly, whisk in diluted cornstarch. Simmer sauce for one minute, then remove the pan from the heat.
- 3When tofu is ready, cut it into 1-inch squares, coat it in marinade and marinate for two hours in the refrigerator.
- 4Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 5Roll the tofu cubes in sunflower seeds until well coated. Place the tofu on a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until deep golden brown, turning the pan once during the cooking process.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Garlic Tofu Bites
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.9
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 360.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 34.7 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: