- 10 -15 shallots (peeled and sliced very thinly crosswise with a knife or mandoline)
- 4 teaspoons flour
- corn oil (for deep frying) or canola oil (for deep frying) or safflower oil, about 3 inches depth of neutral vegetable oil in a heavy pot (for deep frying)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil to 360°F.
- Separate the shallot slices into rings and place them in a medium bowl.
- Make certain the shallots are not moist, since otherwise they may splatter when they go into the oil.
- Sprinkle flour over the shallots and toss them lightly to coat evenly.
- Working with a small quantity, sprinkle the shallots over the oil and stir gently to keep them separated.
- Fry until golden brown, about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, then put on paper towels to drain the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt while still warm.
- Continue frying the rest of the shallots, salting each batch while it is still warm.
- Use as a garnish for Spiced Carrot Soup, Recipe #108333.