Recipe by PanNan
This recipe comes from the Aquavit cookbook that I borrowed from the library. I planned to make these soon, but when a request came for spicy fries, I immediately thought of this recipe and decided to go ahead and post it in response to the request. You can adjust the seasoning to suit your taste. Please note that this recipe requires a one hour freeze time between fries. It should be started well ahead of the rest of the meal, and finished just before serving.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 4 cups canola oil
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs
- ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut into sticks about 1/2" thick and 4" long.
- Drop them into a bowl of cold water immediately after cutting to prevent discoloration.
- Pour 3" of oil into a deep fryer and heat to 350.
- Meanwhile, drain the potatoes and pat with paper towels until dry.
- Add the potatoes to the hot oil in batches that allow the potatoes to fry in a single layer (not too many at a time).
- Fry for about 5 minutes, or until they just turn brown.
- Remove them from the oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- Continue cooking each batch until they are all fried.
- Be sure to bring the temperature of the oil back up between batches.
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet, in a single layer, and place in the freezer for one hour.
- Process the corn flakes and panko in a blender or food processor until fine.
- Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Combine the flour, salt and cayenne in a second shallow bowl.
- In a third bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Roll the partially frozen potato sticks in the flour, then dip them in the eggs, shaking off the excess, and then roll in the cornflake mixture.
- Repeat this process a second time, and place each fry in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Heat the oil to 375.
- Fry the potatoes in batches for 3- 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.