This recipe comes from the Aquavit cookbook that I borrowed from the library. I planned to make these soon, but when a request came for spicy fries, I immediately thought of this recipe and decided to go ahead and post it in response to the request. You can adjust the seasoning to suit your taste. Please note that this recipe requires a one hour freeze time between fries. It should be started well ahead of the rest of the meal, and finished just before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel potatoes and cut into sticks about 1/2" thick and 4" long.
- 2Drop them into a bowl of cold water immediately after cutting to prevent discoloration.
- 3Pour 3" of oil into a deep fryer and heat to 350.
- 4Meanwhile, drain the potatoes and pat with paper towels until dry.
- 5Add the potatoes to the hot oil in batches that allow the potatoes to fry in a single layer (not too many at a time).
- 6Fry for about 5 minutes, or until they just turn brown.
- 7Remove them from the oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- 8Continue cooking each batch until they are all fried.
- 9Be sure to bring the temperature of the oil back up between batches.
- 10Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet, in a single layer, and place in the freezer for one hour.
- 11Process the corn flakes and panko in a blender or food processor until fine.
- 12Pour into a shallow bowl.
- 13Combine the flour, salt and cayenne in a second shallow bowl.
- 14In a third bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- 15Roll the partially frozen potato sticks in the flour, then dip them in the eggs, shaking off the excess, and then roll in the cornflake mixture.
- 16Repeat this process a second time, and place each fry in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 17Heat the oil to 375.
- 18Fry the potatoes in batches for 3- 4 minutes until golden brown.
- 19Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 20Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Fried Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (903 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4785.5
- Calories from Fat 4029
- Total Fat 447.6 g
- Saturated Fat 34.2 g
- Cholesterol 317.2 mg
- Sodium 1589.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 172.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 32.5 g