Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 extra-large onion
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beer
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Peel onion; cut into 3/8 inch slices, and separate into rings.
- Combine dry ingredients, beer, egg, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Place batter in a shallow pan; using a fork, dip onion rings into batter, coating both sides well.
- Fry in deep hot oil (375) until golden brown on both sides (3 to 5 minutes).
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Note: These onion rings may be frozen in a single layer on baking sheets for later use.
- When frozen, package rings as desired in foil.
- To reheat, place onion rings on baking sheets; bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes.