Recipe by YoungChicChef
Found this a few years back in Food & Wine and it was so delicious! Only way I can get my husband and son who both hate fish to eat it, and they ask for seconds!
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 lb tilapia fillet, cut into 4-by-1-inch strips
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- green cabbage, shredded
- lettuce leaf, shredded
- scallion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the hoisin sauce, pickle relish and lemon juice.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and white pepper. Seal the bag and shake. Add the fish and shake to coat.
- Put the eggs and panko in separate shallow bowls. Dip the fish in the egg and then in the panko. Transfer the fish to a wax paper–lined platter.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil to 350°. Add half of the fish and fry over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain the fish on a paper towel–lined platter. Repeat with the remaining fish.
- Serve the fish in the tortillas, passing the hoisin mayonnaise, cabbage, lettuce, cilantro and scallions for serving.