Prep 6 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is what I came up with after tinkering a bit with fried chicken. My family loves the crunchy outside, and juicy tender chicken. I buy chicken parts, bone in. But this does work with boneless skinless chicken too. If you are cutting up a chicken, its best to buy one about 4 lbs, any bigger and the outside will burn before the inside is cooked through. This is enough coating to cook 4 thighs, 4 drumsticks and a couple chicken breasts.
- 1814.36 g broiler-fryer chickens, cut
- 473.18 ml flour, plus additional as needed
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 29.58 ml seasoning salt, plus
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 14.78 ml oregano
- 7.39 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml pepper
- buttermilk, to cover chicken
- 236.59 ml hot sauce (I use Franks)
- oil, i use peanut oil (for frying)
- Soak the chicken in the refrigerator in a bath of buttermilk, hot sauce 1 tsp seasoning sale and pepper. Enough buttermilk to completely coat the chicken. At least 4 hours, up to overnight.
- mix (in a gallon sized baggie works nicely) 1 cup flour with remaining spices.and pepper if you'd like.
- pull chicken pieces out of bath, allowing excess liquid to drip off a little. Shake each piece separately in the flour mixture and place on a drying rack to rest. Allow to rest at least 15 minutes, and up to 30. Reserve the buttermilk mixture.
- Repeat: Dip each piece of chicken into buttermilk and then into the flour mixture. Place on drying racks and allow to rest another 15 to 30 minutes.
- in a skillet or electric frying pan, put enough oil to come up 1/2 each chicken piece. Heat to 360. Place chicken skin side down a piece or two at a time to avoid the temp from dropping too low (that will make your chicken turn out oily). Do not crowd chicken.
- Cook until brown and blood starts bubbling out of the top. you can shake the pan a little to make sure they are not sticking. Turn each piece and cook again until brown. At this point you can finish in a 350 oven on a greased (sprayed) cookie sheet. Otherwise cook turning occassionally until juices run clean when tested.