Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These make a great substitute for French fries. My brother is a renal patient and can't eat potatoes much. You can use a lot more carrots-the ingredients will dredge more than called for. I got this recipe from Southern Living several years ago. It originated from John Fleer of The Inn at Blackberry Farm. Prep time is a guess, I am slow cutting vegetables.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350. You will need at least 1" worth.
- Scrape carrots and cut them into thin strips. I have also cut them into "coins.".
- Mix first seven ingredients and set aside.
- Beat egg shite until foamy, then stir in buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Dip carrots in milk mixture. Drain excess and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Fry 2 minutes or until ligthly brown. This will depend on how big you cut your carrots.
- Take out of skillet and drain on paper towels.
What an interesting way to make carrots. I was skeptical at first, to be honest with you, but I'm so glad I gave this recipe a chance!It was fantastic! It was flavorful and delciious. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!