These make a great substitute for French fries. My brother is a renal patient and can't eat potatoes much. You can use a lot more carrots-the ingredients will dredge more than called for. I got this recipe from Southern Living several years ago. It originated from John Fleer of The Inn at Blackberry Farm. Prep time is a guess, I am slow cutting vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat vegetable oil to 350. You will need at least 1" worth.
- 2Scrape carrots and cut them into thin strips. I have also cut them into "coins.".
- 3Mix first seven ingredients and set aside.
- 4Beat egg shite until foamy, then stir in buttermilk and hot sauce.
- 5Dip carrots in milk mixture. Drain excess and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- 6Fry 2 minutes or until ligthly brown. This will depend on how big you cut your carrots.
- 7Take out of skillet and drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Fried Carrot Sticks
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.6 mg
- Sodium 422.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning