Recipe by Droopy Drawers, By Lucy Lastic
If you love cheese, you'll adore this. In step 2 its very important that you freeze the cheese. If it stands at room temperature, it will become over ripe and will melt into the oil during deep frying. The preperation time doesnt include the chilling time
For the Relish
- 75 g thawed frozen cranberries or 75 g fresh cranberries
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons cranberry jelly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- salt and black pepper
- 40 g ripe camembert cheese (8 slices)
- 2 eggs
- 100 g dried breadcrumbs
- 50 g finely chopped almonds
- sunflower oil, to shallow fry
Directions See How It's Made
- Put Cranberries, orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 3 - 4 minutes, or until the cranberries have spilt and softened. Stir in the cranberrie jelly and orange rind. Set aside to cool.
- Mix the flour and seasoning on a plate. Coat the cheese in the mixture. Beat the eggs in a shallow dish. Combine the breadcrumbs and almonds on a plate. Coat the cheese in egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeating until all are done. Put on a plate and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Heat about 7.5cm/ 3in of oil in a large deep saucepan, until a cube of bread takes 30 seconds to brown. Deep fry the cheeses for about 4 minutes, turning occasionally until evenly browned. Removing with a slotted spoon, drain on some paper towel.
- Serve hot with the relish.